Thursday, January 30, 2014

Just One Year (Just One Day #2)
By Gayle Forman


5 out of 5

In Just One Day, we got to hear Allyson, or LuLu's, point of view and everything that happened to her after that magical day in Paris. In Just One Year, we get to hear Willem's point of view. The book picks up with Willem waking up in a French hospital confused and hurt, and knowing that someone is waiting for him. But he can't remember who, or where. When Willem finally does remember, it is too late. So begins Willem's year long search to find his mysterious LuLu. But it's not an easy search. And his personal life is not making it any easier. Willem is lost, this year is about finding himself, and finding the people who really mean something to him.

Wow, just wow. I have been waiting for this book even since I read Just One Day almost one year ago (the irony is not lost on me). And, wow, this did not disappoint. I never knew a male led book could have me brought to tears so many times during one book. Willem's story was complex and sad and I really got a sense of who he was in 300 pages. There is so much emotion and depth to his story, it was incredible. And even though I knew what was going to happen at the end, the story was still a complete surprise to me. I loved it and my only complaint is that I wish it would go on longer. There is the implication of what happened, but I wish it was spelled out in exacting, beautiful detail. However, that is not the case, so I am left with my imagination to picture the perfect ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment