Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Fangirl
By Rainbow Rowell


4 out of 5

Cath is about to start her freshman year of college. But everything is not as it should be. Her twin sister, Wren, isn't her roommate, Cath doesn't know where the dining hall is, and Cath can't write Carry On Simon, her massively popular fanfiction story, with her new roommate Reagan in the room. Things look tough, and they are bound to get worse before they get better. Cath is very introverted, but will people like Levi, Reagan, Nick, and Wren be able to break in and become friends with Cath? Or will they all be shut out in the cold?

This book was surprisingly good. I will admit, that I picked up the book due to name only. Fangirl. I was intrigued. This book was really good, but hit too close to home in some cases. Having just completed my freshman year of college, reading about Cath's adventures of her freshman year made me sad and nostalgic. And angry. Cath can be so introverted at times that it frustrates me. She would rather give up than be challenged in life, and that mindset upsets me. However, alls well that ends well. This book had me giddy and grinning from ear to ear (probably a lot like Cath and Levi), and other times cringing in mutual awkwardness. Speaking of Levi, the parallels I could draw between Levi and Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars are incredible. Don't get me wrong, I love Levi as his own person, but I look at him very fondly as Augustus' very close cousin, I even picture them looking very similar!

No comments:

Post a Comment